SharePoint migration and upgrade refers to the process of moving data and content from one version of SharePoint to another or from one environment to another. This can include moving content from an on-premises version of SharePoint to SharePoint Online, or upgrading from an older version of SharePoint to a newer version.
There are several different approaches to SharePoint migration and upgrade, which include:
- Database attach upgrade: This method involves detaching the content databases from the source SharePoint farm, upgrading the databases to the new version, and then reattaching them to the new farm.
- In-place upgrade: This method involves upgrading the existing SharePoint farm in place to the new version.
- Hybrid upgrade: This method involves upgrading the on-premises SharePoint farm to the new version and then moving the content to SharePoint Online.
- Third-party tool-based migration: There are several third-party migration tools available that can be used to migrate data from one environment to another. These tools typically provide a more automated and streamlined migration process, but they also have their own specific requirements.
- Manual migration: This method involves moving content manually, such as by using the SharePoint export and import functionality.
It is important to note that SharePoint migration and upgrade requires a good understanding of SharePoint, as well as the specific migration or upgrade method being used. Additionally, it is important to plan and test the migration or upgrade thoroughly to ensure minimal disruption and to validate that the content is being moved correctly.