How to change SharePoint online site url?
There are many scenario where you get a request to change or update the SharePoint site URL. To change the URL of a SharePoint Online site, follow these steps:
- Go to the SharePoint admin center.
- Click on “active sites” and select the site you want to change.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Click on “Change the URL”.
- Enter the new URL for the site.
- Click “Save”.
- Wait for the change to propagate, this may take a few minutes.
Note: The URL of the root site collection cannot be changed. If you want to change the URL of a root site collection, you will need to create a new site collection with the desired URL and move the content to the new site. Also, it is recommended to backup the site content before making any changes.
When you change the URL of a SharePoint Online site, the following happens:
- The old URL becomes inaccessible.
- All links that use the old URL will break.
- Any bookmarks or saved shortcuts to the old URL will no longer work.
- Any content that was embedded in external sites using the old URL will also break.
- You will need to update any linked content to the new URL.
- Search engines will see the site as a new entity and will need time to re-index the new URL.
- The new URL will have a new identity, and the site’s previous history and statistics will not be transferred to the new URL.
Can we change the SharePoint Tenant URL?
No, the tenant URL for SharePoint Online cannot be changed. The tenant URL is the base URL for all the sites in the tenant and is assigned when the tenant is created.
However, if you need to change the domain name for your organization, you can set up a new tenant with a new domain name, and then move your content from the old tenant to the new tenant. This process is complex and requires significant planning, so it is recommended to seek assistance from Microsoft support or a SharePoint consultant.